Subject: Re: Comparison of OS for PC's
To: Robert Dobbs <banshee@gabriella.resort.com>
From: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 08/25/1995 15:48:02
On Fri, 25 Aug 1995, Robert Dobbs wrote:

> where do you think they get the figure that windows is 1/2 asm code?
>
> so qualitatively, what would you say that these benchmarks show that
> netbsd lacks?  What I picked up was that the page allocation scheme was
> perhaps not the best in the world and that netbsd seemed to overrun the
> data cache.

	Unified buffer & VM cache, and some way around the problem of sync
	writes slowing down the disk. (NT's metadata journalling is better
	at this, and shouldn't corrupt the disk no matter when you hit
	the power switch (reportedly) (allegedly) (or so its said :)

		David

 D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk (MIME) +44 171 477 8186  {post,host}master  (abs)
Network Analyst, UCS, City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB.
   <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - telnet mono.city.ac.uk >>>