Subject: Re: ccd and ffs resizer...
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: current-users
Date: 08/23/1995 15:23:27
>>>>> "Jason" == Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:

Jason> On Wed, 23 Aug 1995 10:36:53 +0200 Niklas Hallqvist
Jason> <niklas@appli.se> wrote:

>> In my last message I missed the point that ccd's are interleaved in
>> the common case.  Perhaps the resizer could also become a
>> re-interleaver?

Jason> Considering that we're talking about two different levels (a
Jason> `device' and the filesystem on top of it), Mouse's ffs tool
Jason> isn't going to even consider touching the ccd.

Hmm, but doesn't it?  Like fsck, it has to be somewhere in between the
layers in order to know block addressing and such.

Jason> As I see it, at the moment, the only way to re-interleave a ccd
Jason> is to backup your data, reconfigure the ccd, newfs, and
Jason> restore.

I believe you.

Jason>  From my perspective, implementing dynamic resizing of
Jason> the ccd device and dynamic re-interleaving is non-trivial.

Probably, but not really *that* hard, or do you think so?  AIX does
this in a two step process, first resize of the VG (volume group, not
really like NetBSD's ccd, but comparable in this respect) and the
resize of the FS.  Couldn't ccdconfig be made to at least *add* disks
(and remove the last) to a non-interleaved ccd?  This is useful for
things like running out of diskspace on a ccd device.

Niklas