Subject: Re: ufs filesystem tool: any interest?
To: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 08/23/1995 07:13:24
On Wed, 23 Aug 95 10:16 ZOM
 leo@ahwau.ahold.nl (Leo Weppelman) wrote:

 > In combination with 'ccd' this would really gives a lot of flexibility!

Yes and no.  In the concatencated case, where space is the only concern,
yes.  One could tack another disk onto the ccd, grow the filesystem, and
we're off.  However, in the interleaved case, adding another disk is
going to cause the interleave information to be re-calculated, so a newfs
will be necessary anyway.

I'm not trying to be negative about the ccd's capabilities (in fact,
quite the opposite!), but I'm just trying to be realistic about what it
can do, and clear up any possible misconception about what it is.  (From
the paragraph below I see that Leo understands this, but I've seen other
messages on this subject fly by that lead me to believe that others do not.)

 > It sounds like a good thing to put it in the default distribution. As
 > a lot of people (like me) hit their filesystem limits sooner or later.
 > It is nice when you can buy a new disk, concatenate a new partition and
 > grow your filesytem.

Isn't it the truth...

Filesystem  1024-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0f         49479    46747      258    99%    /usr

*sigh* once upon a time, that was enough space for /usr... :-)