Subject: Re: ufs filesystem tool: any interest?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/22/1995 23:37:32
der Mouse writes:
> I've just finished a little tool for UFS filesystems.  It allows you to
> grow and/or shrink a filesystem, assuming of course in the former case
> that the partition is big enough to hold the new filesystem.  (I
> haven't done the kernel hooks necessary to do this sort of thing live;
> if the filesystem isn't unmounted, you're liable to come to grief, as
> with anything that scribbles on raw disk.)

How do you deal with partitions, especially when you might be going
over paritition boundaries?

Can this do arbitrary overlapping file system moves? If I've
decided that I want to shuffle around the partitions on my disk
and assuming that I've dealt with making sure any data in the
partition I'm partially shifting into is safe, can this handle it?

> Is anyone interested in this?

Yes!

> And if so, should I send-pr it as an enhancement, or put it up for
> ftp, or mail it out, or what?

Please send-pr it and put it up! (I hope there is a manual :-)

Perry