Subject: Re: Thoughts on removable media
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 08/21/1995 11:49:13
John F. Woods (jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com) wrote:
: I've just gotten a SyQuest EZ135 drive, and I now wonder how feasible the
: following idea would be:  If the d_packname field were filled in with
: something unique, you could use something like the automount daemon to
: pretend that the disk was permanently mounted, at least in a
: half-hearted way:  upon trapping a reference to the disk, the modified
: amd would prompt on the console (ugh) to mount the desired volume, and

Thats nearly what AmigaDOS does...

: could either poll the drive until the volume appears, or have some
: explicit notification means (either run a program that communicates
: with amd, or maybe just have it read "OK\n" from the console (bleah)).

... but you can mount a volume in any driver (well, at least of the
right type :-)

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis