Subject: Re: Spreading the word
To: (NetBSD/current-users Maillist) <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 08/18/1995 22:09:22
	Here's a quick (& simple idea)

	How about everyone with a web page, add in a link somewhere to
	www.netbsd.org? (picture or no picture).

	Costs you nothing, and if enough people do it - well, if more
	people know about NetBSD, more people will use it...

	Another thought... The FreeBSD people have an install setup that
	will install off an ftp server (plus one floppy in a PC).

	Thi is nice, cool etc.. but I wonder if they've taken it a step
	further and permitted people to install binary packages from
	an ftp server?
		program that:
		anon ftps to ftp.netbsd.org, gets the package server list,
		display it on screen & asks 'which server', then connects
		to server, goes into correct arch dir & release subdir,
		then gets the index & lets the user pick a package.. then
		downloads & install the package..

	Ok, only any good for someone with a TCP/IP connection, but thats
	a growing number of people.. and it hasnt made things _worse_ for
	people without one...

	Frontend could be written in.. uhh, tk? and then use either
	tcl/tk if they have X, or ctk (curses tk) if they haven't...

	Is it a good idea? Anybody want to pick it up & run with it?
	I'm willing to help, but wouldnt have the time to do it all...
	(I still havent found time to help with the sun3/NetBSD install
	docs I promised to (oops:))

		abs

 D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk (MIME) +44 171 477 8186  {post,host}master  (abs)
Network Analyst, UCS, City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB.
   <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - telnet mono.city.ac.uk >>>