Subject: Re: do you like or hate this enhancement
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/17/1995 08:28:27
"Erik E. Fair" writes:
> If you're really serious about doing a multiple IP address per host thing
> for more than a trivial number of host addresses, then we need a different
> hack. A friend of mine who had this problem decided that what he would do
> is hack things up so that the kernel would respond to all host addresses
> given a number and a mask.

Might be a good idea, although I'd say at the moment I'm more
concerned about fixing the programs that break under the existing
regime (like bind! who would have thought it, eh?) than altering the
way that the aliases are handled in the kernel. Thats a project for
another week...

> Otherwise, your /etc/rc* script change seems to be a clean way of handling
> this configuration option. Um, unless you want different netmasks per
> address?

Dunno if thats even possible in the existing kernel code -- I'd have
to check.

Perry