Subject: do you like or hate this enhancement
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/16/1995 17:56:18
I've just hacked up the following addition to my /etc/netstart file
and I was thinking of send-pr'ing it as an enhancement. Like many
people, I maintain a bunch of extra ip addresses on some of my
interfaces to do various tricks with. This seems like a nice clean way
of specifying these addresses. It goes at the end of /etc/netstart. Do
people like the idea or hate it?

-- cut here --
# /etc/hostaliases, if it exists, contains the names of additional ip
# addresses for each interface. It is formatted as a series of lines
# that contain
# interface address
if [ -f /etc/hostaliases ]; then
(
    set -- `cat /etc/hostaliases`

    while [ $# -ge 2 ] ; do
	ifconfig $1 inet alias $2
	route add $2 localhost
        shift 2
    done
 )
fi
-- cut here --

As an example, my /etc/hostaliases now contains the line

ns1.piermont.com le0

Perry