Subject: Re: inn and mmap()ing the active file
To: Heiko W.Rupp <hwr@pilhuhn.de>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/1995 06:30:51
>michaelv@HeadCandy.COM (Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com) writes:
>>You need to add an msync() call to the INN code where it syncs the
>>active file (don't remember where, exactly).  The idiot INN author

>Not nice ..

There is a reason...

>>refuses to put this into his code, because he says only "broken"
>>systems need it, and he isn't about to cater his code to broken
>>systems.  Email from a wide variety of users might modify his
>>disposition.

>From his point of view he is right. On SunOS4.1 wheer he developpped
>inn it works like it is.
>But .. there is a) news.software.nntp where you could post a patch b)
>a 'patch maintainer (Dave Barr)' to whom you might send the patches to
>be added to the archive and to be distributed with unofficial releases.
>And then there is the INN Faq where this might also be added....

Yet, I know of at least two people who have tried to get him to fix
this, and both times he has told them to forget it -- their operating
systems were "broken", and he wasn't going to patch INN just because
they ran a "broken" OS.

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4, PC532,
                           DEC pmax (MIPS R2k/3k), DEC/AXP (Alpha)
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX and others...