Subject: Re: name service (does anyone else see this?)
To: None <,>
From: Olaf Seibert <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/07/1995 03:36:17
John Hawkinson <> wrote:
> > From: (Greg A. Woods)
> > To: John Hawkinson <>
> > Cc: (Michael K. Sanders),
> >         mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU, current-users@NetBSD.ORG
> > > You should certainly use the loopback address in preference to
> > >, which is entirely bogus. If any implementation accepts it,
> > > it's confused itself.

I seem to recall from the IP spec that network all-bits-zero means
"this network, even though I don't know its number (yet)", and the host
part all-bits-zero means "this host, even though I don't know its
number (yet)". So it's reasonable for the address to be the
local host.

     Have you indecently fucked this Exon idiot and his allies today?
___              Copyright 1995 Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert. All Rights Reserved.
\X/    You are not allowed to read this using any kind of Micro$oft product.