Subject: Re: name service (does anyone else see this?)
To: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@confusion.net>
From: Neil J. McRae <neil@demon.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/06/1995 23:37:42

> >This is a bug?  If you put a bogus address in /etc/resolv.conf I'd
> >_expect_ it to hang for ages.  Why would you do that, anyway?
>
> To quote the O'Reily DNS & BIND book (page 106):
>
>   You can also configure the resolver to query the host's local name
>   server, by using either the local host's IP address or the zero
>   address.  The zero address, 0.0.0.0, is interpreted by most TCP/IP
>   implementations to mean "this host." The host's real IP address, of
>   course, also means "this host." On hosts that don't understand the
>   zero address, you can use the loopback address, 127.0.0.1.

Setup named with your own domain, specify 0.0.0.0 as your primary resolver
and reboot, It hangs when trying to install routes to localhost and bringing
interfaces up. To fix I removed 0.0.0.0 as my primary resolver and it
boots up with not problems, I'd love a fix for this. It's been PR'ed I'm
sure.

Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae.                                       Demon Internet
neil@demon.net