Subject: Re: Filesystem evolution
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 08/06/1995 08:21:06
> It appears that we are seeing a slow evolution of the FFS filesystem.
> I have a few comments to make about this.

> The 4.4-Lite NetBSD gave us the 4.4 filesystem.  Using fsck -c3 would
> upgrade an old filesystem to the new format, but there was backward
> compatibility.

Well, not quite.  A 4.4 filesystem was not quite compatible with an old
OS.  (This is important.)

> Right now I have the choice of booting SunOS or NetBSD on my Sun3.
> Either OS will serve NFS to my Amiga.  I like that.  The day that the
> NetBSD FFS format changes (e.g. symlinks) is the day I can no longer
> safely boot SunOS.

Only if it also stops supporting old filesystems, which so far there
has been no hint of.  I find incompatabilities between even the old
filesystem format on NetBSD and SunOS (3.5) already, though each one's
fsck is mostly able to fix a filesystem from the other.

>          For a good time, telnet torfree.net and log in as `guest'.

For a good time, call louie.udel.edu. :-)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu