Subject: Re: name service (does anyone else see this?)
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@confusion.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/05/1995 20:04:39
In the beginning there was nothing. Then der Mouse said:

>> Would it be possible to fix the bug when booting up if you have
>> /etc/resolv.conf with 0.0.0.0 as the first resolver.  It hangs for
>> ages before timing out.

>This is a bug?  If you put a bogus address in /etc/resolv.conf I'd
>_expect_ it to hang for ages.  Why would you do that, anyway?

To quote the O'Reily DNS & BIND book (page 106):

  You can also configure the resolver to query the host's local name
  server, by using either the local host's IP address or the zero
  address.  The zero address, 0.0.0.0, is interpreted by most TCP/IP
  implementations to mean "this host." The host's real IP address, of
  course, also means "this host." On hosts that don't understand the
  zero address, you can use the loopback address, 127.0.0.1.

--
	       Michael K. Sanders :: msanders@confusion.net
      Free your system, and your mind will follow. NetBSD, free UN*X.

 The Confusion Network :: Creating Chaos out of Anarchy for a Better Tomorrow
 time taught the killing game herself