Subject: Re: upgrade gcc to 2.7?
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@deshaw.com>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@nhh.no>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/1995 09:17:54
On Thu, 3 Aug 1995, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> Have you tried to compile any c++ code with g++-2.7.0? I don't understand
> how can fsf release the compile when it does not even compile groff?

It compiled groff nicely for me -- as soon as I fixed the bugs in
groff.  Basically, the groff source code relies on a declaration scope
rule that g++ 2.7 doesn't like -- nor, if I may say so, do I.  Here's
an example of the sort of thing groff uses:

	for (int i=0; i<j; i++)
		foo(i);
	bar(i);

Change all the occurences of this sort of thing to e.g.:

	int i;
	for (i=0; i<j; i++)
		foo(i);
	bar(i);

Then, g++ 2.7.0 will happily compile groff 1.09, and the resulting
executables work just fine.

-tih