Subject: Re: upgrade gcc to 2.7?
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@deshaw.com>
From: Mark F Willey <willey@ecn.purdue.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/03/1995 18:41:38
"In a previous message, Christos Zoulas wrote:"

> In article <199507310818.DAA23983@en.ecn.purdue.edu> willey@ecn.purdue.edu (Mark F Willey) writes:
> >The reason I'm wanting to upgrade is that some of the newer things
> >coming out count on a g++ that is evolving with the ANSI standard, such
                         ^^^      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(key words... see below)

> >Oh, the one problem that I am running into with 2.7 is that npx.c is not
> >compiling due to some asm problem.  I will post about this after
> >resaearching it and seeing if using the old gcc fixes it.

As someone else pointed out, this is a trivial bug in npx.c.  Anyone know
what the fix is offhand?  If I hear nothing, I will post the line (line
400) and error message.

> Have you tried to compile any c++ code with g++-2.7.0? I don't understand
> how can fsf release the compile when it does not even compile groff?

See above.

So, the question still remains, is there a reason that we don't upgrade gcc
to 2.7.0?  I'm asking because I really don't understand all the subtle
problems that it might cause.  It seems that all the code should compile
with the 2.7.0 release (with appropriate command-line arguments).  Perhaps
we should wait for 2.7.1, though?

Mark