Subject: Re: possible problem with NFS?
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@deshaw.com>
From: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/31/1995 20:40:46
> >First of all:
> >
> >I'm running July 27 i386 current (though I had the same problems with
> >sources supped a week earlier).  My kernel is modified with the latest
> >and greatest of Stefan Grefan's PCMCIA code, and I have a 3com 3c589
> >ethernet adaptor in the slot.  I don't think this problem is related
> >to PCMCIA, though I can't discount the idea completely.
> >
> >The problem is one of memory corruption.  I have the kernel compiled
> >with options DIAGNOSITIC, though if I run a kernel without that
> >option, it runs a little farther than usual, but eventually dies (as
> >expected).
> >

> I have the same problem; I die in recvit() as called from recvfrom(),
> when the machine is otherwise idle. The network the machine is on
> has very heavy broadcasting traffic. The only machine that dies is the
> 3c589 PCMCIA one, so the bug has to be some race condition in the driver.
>
> christos

This has got to be related to the same problem I have been reporting
for over 3 weeks. I *don't* have PCMCIA installed in my kernel.

The problem first manifested itself when doing large (>10MB) file
reads over a PPP NFS link. Lots of dropped packets. I gave up trying
to run that hourly cron process (which had been running without fail
prior to July 3rd).

I can also lock the machine when attempting to sup an entire source
tree.  Locks after about 3 hours.

This time frame matches the addition of TAILQs.

I've tried everything I can to expose this further with no luck.

Help would be appreciated.

-Randy