Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
From: Captech) <greywolf@tomcat.VAS.viewlogic.com (James Graham>
List: current-users
Date: 07/31/1995 11:31:02
#: >For some systems, it's really usefull to have a level multi-user with
#: >only a console login and a multi-user level with all login possibilities,
#: >as not all maintenance has to be done single-user...
#:
#: We already have that: /etc/nologin.  Though that really is a hack.

Not altogether true, because you can not only deny services to users, but
you can tell them *why* you are denying them services.

A hack, maybe, but it is quite functional.  As opposed to SVR4 which has
included this "hack" as a gratuitous gesture to the unification of BSD and
SysV.  I don't think that even Solaris' default shutdown program (the old
AT&T one) makes use of /etc/nologin.  A user can connect at 2.5 minutes
before shutdown, start editing something and then wonder what the hell
happened when he gets disconnected.

					--*greywolf;

#:
#: --
#: Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org		+49 721 606137
#:
#: Es genuegt nicht, keine Gedanken zu haben;
#: man muss auch unfaehig sein, sie auszudruecken.  - Karl Kraus
#: