Subject: Trouble building the libraries
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/31/1995 18:58:29
I recently downloaded the current sources from the tar files (dated 7-20, I
think).  I absolutely love the union mount and the fact that I can now eject
an optical disk when it's not mounted!  However, when building the library
files I ran into some problems.  First, nowhere in the tar's did there seem
to be the corresponding current /include files.  I was able to get around
this by downloading comp10 from the NetBSD-1.0 tree and then linking the
/machine and /sys subdirectories to the sys tree.  Now there's just two
problems left:

In libl, there aren't any files other than Makefile.  It's looking for
    SRCS=	libmain.c libyywrap.c
which don't exist.

In libtputs (?), I get the following compile error:
    cc -O -DCM_N -DCM_GT -DCM_B -DCM_D  -c tputs.c
    tputs.c:69: conflicting types for `tputs'
    /usr/include/curses.h:338: previous declaration of `tputs'
    *** Error code 1

    Stop.
I'm not sure if curses.h is out-of-date; the header reads:
     *	@(#)curses.h	8.4 (Berkeley) 8/10/94

I also have more or less of a question about the libraries.  They don't
include libfl, libg++, libgcc, or libgnumalloc, which I got from the binary
release last year.  Have these been eliminated or integrated into other
libraries?

Finally, a couple of problems with mount.  I have accidentally mounted two
drives/filesystems to the same directory a couple of times, and the system
didn't complain about it.  I didn't dare test what it would do at the
mounting point.  There ought to be a way to prevent multiple mounts to the
same directory.  As a side note to that, I had a union mount duplicated a
couple of times and doing any kind of operation in that directory resulted
in the program going into an infinite loop.  Secondly, I can perform a union
mount as a regular user, but I can't unmount the same directory:
    trevin% /sbin/mount
    /dev/sd0a on / (local)
    kernfs on /kern (local)
    /dev/sd0e on /tmp (local)
    /dev/sd0f on /var (local)
    /dev/sd0g on /usr (local)
    /dev/sd0h on /msdos (local)
    <below>:/usr/src/NetBSD-current on /usr/users/trevin/sys
    trevin% /sbin/umount /usr/users/trevin/sys
    umount: /usr/users/trevin/sys: Operation not permitted
    trevin% ls -ld sys
    drwxrwxr-x  32 trevin   users         512 Jul 29 14:01 sys

Any workarounds or explanations?

Trevin Beattie
trevin@xmission.com