Subject: Re: CVS & import scripts
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/29/1995 14:52:23
I've finally gotten around to doing this CVS-import thing, and I've got
a few questions.

First off, since when I sup, I get CVS directories and "Entries", "Repository",
and other such files, when I import, it puts -these- files into the repository!
Fun fun.  Is this normal?  When I check them out later, I get a number of:

cvs checkout: Updating filename../CVS
cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory
? usr/src/etc/root/CVS/Entries

Did someone forget a step in the procedures they posted?  Or does this have
to do with "-I! " and not ignoring CVS directories.

So I suppose my questions are:
1) should the CVS directories really be sent to all sup'ers?
1a) are the CVS files present in the tarballs?
2) if they shouldn't, and assuming they are being sent anyway, should I get
   rid of them before cvs-importing?
2a) what is the proper way of getting rid of them, an ignore line, or some
    crazy "find"-"rm" combination?

Okay, now, say we just sup'ed, cvs-imported.  Can we get rid of the files in
the sup area, or does sup need them to stay?  If sup needs them to stay, this
leaves us with three times the source code; one in the sup destination area,
one in the working area, and one (possibly very large) copy in the repository.
That's a lot.

Is this really optimal?  Is this how everyone is doing it?  Or -is- anyone else
really even using CVS on their supped-stuff.  I'm frustrated.
--
VaX#n8 (vak-sa-nate) - n, CS senior++ and Unix junkie - vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Deal with evil through strength, yet encourage good through trust.    - PGP me