Subject: Re: Ulimit problem
To: Neil J. McRae <neil@demon.net>
From: Alec H. Peterson <chuckie@panix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/28/1995 11:20:00
Neil J. McRae writes:

>That limit of processes and fd's is just way too low, inetd is setting them
>when it forks (?) there must be a way to increase this? ( I run sendmail
>from inetd as it is part of our security policy)

Well, you can tell sendmail to do a
setrilmit(RLIMIT_NOFILE, RLIM_INFINITY) call inside of sendmail before
anything happens.  Or alternatively, you can just have inetd call a
program that does the setrlimit() call and then just execl()s sendmail
from there, with the new limits.

Those are the default limits for when a user logs in, there are
kernel options that you can set to make the default limit higher.
For example, the one for more processes would be:

options		"MAXUPRC=n"

I'm not sure that the one for NOFILE is, but it's not something that
digging throught the kernel source won't turn up.

Alec

--
|Alec Peterson                       | Panix Public Access UNIX and Internet|