Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
From: Mark P. Gooderum <mark@good.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/28/1995 10:48:24
Having watched all of this, my two cents worth...

I enjoyed run levels working with Solaris, but I agree that the run levels
available are so-so.  I can take them or leave them.  I never liked
/etc/inittab.

I agree that /etc/init.d with start and stop is a good thing.  The first
modification I make to my systems is add a loop at the end of rc.local that
does just that.

> I also don't see why ``init 6'' is more intuitive than ``reboot'', but
> that's a quark of a different flavour...

Well, as long as we're talking code bloat, one could add:

	/etc/levels:

single	1	single-suser

and use:

	getlevelbynam()
	getlevelbynum()

And type "init single" or "init reboot".

Heh heh.
--
Mark