Subject: Re: VM problems
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Mark F Willey <willey@ecn.purdue.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/28/1995 18:16:02
"In a previous message, Bill Studenmund wrote:"

> Could a process-memory limit (ULIMIT ?) be set lower than 16 Meg (or even
> to exactly 16 Meg)? To test this out, try running 10 of the 8 meg
> versions. :-)

AFAIK, NetBSD does something called "copy-on-write", which basically means
that X copies of a program won't take up (size * X) amount of memory.
They will just take up (size) of memory.
(plus overhead, maybe)  If the program writes to the image, then, I think
it will "copy" it, and split that process's text space off.  I'm sure
someone else here could explain it better!  ;-)

Mark