Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@frodo.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>
From: Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@gaia.coppe.ufrj.br>
List: current-users
Date: 07/28/1995 12:57:42
> > To put it another way: this inittab/rc?.d stuff has been around in System V
> > for what, oh, 12 years now or so?  If it's such a great idea, how come we're
> > already to 4.4BSD++ and CSRG never felt the compelling need to implement
> > these oh-so-wonderful features into BSD?  I remain unconvinced ...
>
> Given that even Sun have gone SysV now, this argument is not a very
> convincing one.

Given that many users thinks this is the worst thing Sun has done
in the last years, and that it continues supporting SunOS (4.1.4),
maybe SYSV is not so good in all aspects.

This kind of discussion around inittab, rc.d, runlevels, etc sounds
to me like some sort of personal preferences.  For some people,
mostly BSDish, down, single-user and multi-user are enough.
Some others may like to disable network, implement maintenance
mode, etc. without hacking too much with the default system.
Note yet, that some of the problems are just about "how" to do,
not about "can" be done.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@coe.ufrj.br