Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, sjg@frodo.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>
From: Captech) <greywolf@tomcat.VAS.viewlogic.com (James Graham>
List: current-users
Date: 07/28/1995 11:00:06
Someone asked:

#: > To put it another way: this inittab/rc?.d stuff has been around in System V
#: > for what, oh, 12 years now or so?  If it's such a great idea, how come we're
#: > already to 4.4BSD++ and CSRG never felt the compelling need to implement
#: > these oh-so-wonderful features into BSD?  I remain unconvinced ...
#:

To which Simon Gerraty wrote:
#:
#: Given that even Sun have gone SysV now, this argument is not a very
#: convincing one.

Come on!  Everyone knows that the only reason Sun went SysV is because
they slept with AT&T.  If that had not happened, since Sun was the leader
in the field at the time, SVR4 would not be NEARLY as prevalent.  A lot
of businesses invested much of their capital budget in Sun systems.  They
are using Solaris now because they don't really have a choice.

All because Sun and AT&T slept together, and Sun got screwed.

				--*greywolf;

#:
#: --sjg
#: