Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com <eeh@btr.btr.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 07/27/1995 16:47:44
> > On an AT&T SysVr3/r4 box there are 6 states defined by default:
> >
> > 	0: shutdown
> > 	1: go to single user mode
> > 	2: go to multi-user mode
> > 	3: turn on networking
> > 	4: un-defined
> > 	5: go to firmware
> > 	6: reboot
>
> Here's my pet peeve with this system.  There is noeasy way to have networking
> turned on in single user mode.

why not?

None of those levels' definitions are set in stone; you can completely
change their meanings, or delete them, if you please.

or, you can ignore them, and implement a single rc-like script, using
only two of them (one for single-, one for multi-user).

The system gives you the flexibility to configure things to do as you
please; indeed, i've seen systems which had 'single-user with
networking' (so that you could set the console to a pseudo-tty, and
have that user be logged in over the network, e.g. to do remote
maintenance).

cgd