Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: matthew green <mrg@mame.mu.oz.au>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 07/27/1995 09:00:54
> as much as most people seem to hate it, AIX lets you have both
> sysv /etc/init.d and bsd /etc/rc* init scripts.

a lot of the configurability of AIX is a very nice thing, actually.
(the ability to tweak login authentication methods easily (!!!) was a
big win around here when we got our batch of ppc-based rs6k's...)

> can we steal
> from here and make everyone happy?

that's not the point.

right now, anyone running NetBSD with sources and sufficient ability
can use whatever startup method they like, from "always boot
single-user, and start all the daemons by hand" to "as many run levels
as you like" -- they just have to hack the source and the scripts to
let them do it.

the point is to choose the 'correct' default, and ship that.  (and, if
there is a 'significantly better' default, then you shouldn't be
shipping two, because if the people using the system really want to do
it differently, they can.)

cgd