Subject: Re: /etc/default, sh cmd line edit
To: Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com <eeh@btr.btr.com>
From: Mark F Willey <willey@ecn.purdue.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/27/1995 16:10:44
"In a previous message, Eduardo E. Horvath  eeh@btr.com wrote:"

> turned on in single user mode.  I often find myself in single-user mode doing
> low-level maintanence on a machine and discover I need to get a file over
> from a remote box.  Getting the network up is annoying.  I need to set
> the host name, run ifconfig, and if I want nfs, start biod and nfsd all
> using the bourne shell (command history?  command line editing? what are
> those?).

FYI, NetBSD's /bin/sh does command-line editing and history.  "set -o vi"
and off you go...

And here's my take (read: opinion) on run levels and new init sequences:

a) more run levels are not needed
b) a new init sequence and utilities to bring up and down parts of the system
would be nice

> don't offhand know if one of the networking startup scripts requires some
> other script to be run.

So make them smart.  :)

Mark