Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/27/1995 23:19:13
Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US> unwisely asks:
> If [SVR4 rc?.d] is such a great idea, how come we're
> already to 4.4BSD++ and CSRG never felt the compelling need to implement
> these oh-so-wonderful features into BSD?

Sarcastic answer:  because the CSRG folks generally run toy systems used
by a single graduate student, or at most, by a bunch of grad students all
just grinding out their theses?

More reasonable answer:  CSRG was a Research Group, and put more emphasis
on devising new features that solved the problems of interest to them,
rather than incorporating already-designed features that solved problems
of interest to others (i.e. commercial enterprises).

Run levels might be of questionable interest to me (though others have
explained why *they* would use them!), but I frankly have some trouble
seeing what the objections to rc?.d are all about.  Heck, if you want
CONFIG.SYS, you know where to find it.