Subject: Re: Symlink ownership
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/27/1995 10:35:52
>The least requirement one can pose on symlinks is that if you were able
>to make a symlink in a directory, you should also be able to remove it
>(just like it works with normal files and everything else). This would
>require that
>
>1. everybody (who can write in the directory) can remove the symlink. This
>   is however undoing the effect the sticky bit is supposed to have.
>   or
>2. the symlink has an owner.

How about:

3. Don't let a user create symlinks in a sticky directory he/she
doesn't own.

This solution satisfies the 'if you can create it, you can destroy it'
requirement.  AFAIK it should be easy to check for this condition and
return EPERM, but I haven't actually looked at the code.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel
Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));