Subject: Re: Compiler warning levels and sccsid/rcsid
To: None <jb@cimaxp1.dol-esa.gov>
From: Kenneth Stailey <kstailey@owl.dol-esa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 07/27/1995 15:28:31
> I'd like to see #ident do something useful because it's one of the few
> things I like about the old System V we've got. Putting the @(#) in
> the #ident strings and being able to do a 'what' on the binary was
> nice. When we got systems that ignore #ident, we were not prepared to
> have these strings take up memory at runtime, so we stopped using them
> and created a utility that writes them to another file.

It is my experience that the SysV "what" program can see both "@(#)"
SCCS comments and $foo$ RCS comments.  There is a "BUGS" section in
what(1) man page that says this:

BUGS
     As BSD UNIX is not licensed to distribute SCCS this is a rewrite of the
     what command which is part of SCCS, and may not behave exactly the same
     as that command does.

I think that it would be nice if "what" could show both types.  Any takers?

~Ken