Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com <eeh@btr.btr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/27/1995 09:25:02
On Wed, 26 Jul 1995, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> On an AT&T SysVr3/r4 box there are 6 states defined by default:
>
> 	0: shutdown
> 	1: go to single user mode
> 	2: go to multi-user mode
> 	3: turn on networking
> 	4: un-defined
> 	5: go to firmware
> 	6: reboot

Here's my pet peeve with this system.  There is noeasy way to have networking
turned on in single user mode.  I often find myself in single-user mode doing
low-level maintanence on a machine and discover I need to get a file over
from a remote box.  Getting the network up is annoying.  I need to set
the host name, run ifconfig, and if I want nfs, start biod and nfsd all
using the bourne shell (command history?  command line editing? what are
those?).

An init level won't do it for me, and figuring out which scripts to run
from all of those funny names in the /etc/rc?.d's is difficult since I
don't offhand know if one of the networking startup scripts requires some
other script to be run.

Eduardo