Subject: re: the run level holy wars...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/27/1995 07:03:12
Is there anything important that you *lose* on a system with run-levels?
Basically, what do you lose if 'init s' is added as a synonym for
'kill -TERM 1'?  I can see why some people don't care for this alleged
feature, but I can see why some people (including myself, which makes it
easier) would really benefit a lot from discrete system states.  So,
apart from the integration effort, what's the cost to the users who don't
use it?

I guess I'm trying to see if this is something where people don't think it's
worth adding, or something where there's a specific piece of functionality
that goes away when you do it.

BTW, can anyone explain why the !@#* rc.local is, in fact, not a local file?
Shouldn't it be a file which is run only if present, and which is not
part of the installation?  If not, why is it called ".local"?

-s