Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 07/27/1995 09:40:01
Peter Seebach (seebs@solon.com) wrote:
: I have to say, if someone's going to mention them, that the SVR4 run levels
: were a massive boon to me as a sysadmin.  It made it trivial to
: keep several different "system states" configured and available, and switch
: between them.  How do you switch to single-user on NetBSD?

as root, do: shutdown now

:
: I believe it's some kluge like 'kill init with a magic signal'.  I recall that
: it hung any system I tried it on (netbsd-current 68k, two different versions).
: What if you want to bring the system up multi-user, but sans network, since
: your ppp provider is down?
:
: A smart set of defaults files would fix these problems.  For instance, the
: system could know that, at run level two, it uses /etc/hosts, and at run level
: three, it uses DNS and talks to a nearby nameserver - a nameserver which is
: not available when the net feed is down.  There does not appear to be any way
: to do this right now; if my nameserver is down, my machine hangs on name
: lookups.

well, for your nearby environment, you can always have a /etc/hosts, and
specify file,bind in /etc/resolv.conf. And it doesn't hang, it just time
out slowly :-) Btw, some tcsh version have a bug which requires DNS just
to start up, but this is tcsh's fault, not the systems.
:
: The SVR4 system strikes me as elegant and powerful, and seems to deal well
: with the question of how to do per-package initialization.

hm...

ln -s `which amd` /etc/rc.d/1/.

instead of editing rc.local? Might be an idea.

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis