Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 07/27/1995 16:26:04
On Wed, 26 Jul 1995 23:05:36 -0500 (CDT)  Scott Reynolds wrote:

> Another system that has an "interesting" setup is HP-UX 9.x, which has an
> /etc/rc that calls on a number of other scripts that are relatively
> self-contained.  They have silly names, but the concept is good:

The names got sillier at 10.X.  Now all the scripts live in /etc/rc?.d
as per other SysV systems.  They all understand 'start' and 'stop'
(the good bit) and are configured by editing files in another
directory (/etc/rc.config.d) to set things like 'NIS_CLIENT=0'.

I'm sure the change has made it easier to write install scripts,
but otherwise is barely better than what existed already.

Why re-write the startup code anyway?  Aren't there more fun things
to do, like merge the VM system and the buffer cache, or write an
IDE CD ROM driver, or make gcc2 as fast as gcc1, or add multiprocessor
support, or ...

Giles  (with damn all time for coding, anyway, but plenty of ideas)