Subject: Re: Symlink ownership
To: None <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Jarle Fredrik Greipsland <jarle.greipsland@idt.unit.no>
List: current-users
Date: 07/26/1995 16:16:29
In article <199507251010.GAA08701@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>, der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> writes:
>> there is a long-standing bug in NetBSD that I think now is ripe for
>> at least a temporary fix until this can be done "right".

> This is really a design bug, not a code bug.  Perhaps one could call it
> an ill-thought-out feature rather than a bug.

Since this design bug/feature was introduced in 4.4BSD (it's not in
the Net/2 release, but it's in the 4.4BSD-Lite code), does anyone on
this list know why?  Where will these changes eventually take us,
i.e. what's the motivation for doing these changes?  What's the
intended semantics for symlinks in a future BSD system?  I assume
the changes were introduced for a reason, and not on the wim of the
last person to touch the file(s).  Anyone out there with the proper
access rights to `the brain(s) in question'?  Anything written on the
subject?

					-jarle
--
"True happiness is when the Programmer admits what the Beta Tester has known
 all along. Bugs are romping in the code."