Subject: Re: Compiler warning levels and sccsid/rcsid
To: None <nv90-mho@nada.kth.se>
From: Antti Miettinen <apm@kikka.hut.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 07/26/1995 09:54:15
>If you have established you have gcc, you might as well use #ident, so
>you don't have to "fool" the compiler at all...

Hmm.. one always learns new things. However it seems that #ident does
nothing on rs6000-aix, hppa-hpux, alpha-osf and i386-linux. Does it
work on all netbsd architectures? Gcc.info says:

   The `#ident' directive is supported for compatibility with certain
other systems.  It is followed by a line of text.  On some systems, the
text is copied into a special place in the object file; on most systems,
the text is ignored and this directive has no effect.  Typically
`#ident' is only used in header files supplied with those systems where
it is meaningful.

It does seem to work with mips-irix and m68k-lynx (eh - no netbsd
systems near me right now).

But anyway - the following:

#define ID(s) \
#ident s

won't work. I don't know of a way to include a preprocessor thingy in
a macro. Is it possible?

How about -Wno-unused?