Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
From: Theo de Raadt <deraadt@theos.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/25/1995 16:49:21
> > Nsswitch is AFAIK done via /etc/resolv.conf, no need to start hacking that.
>
> I disagree.  There are lots more databases that need to be configured
> than just hosts...
>
> I believe that a nsswitch.conf-like mechanism where the adminstrator
> can select the type (file, dns, yp, hesiod, etc.) and resolution order
> of database services for passwd, group, hosts, networks, protocols,
> rpc, ethers, etc. would be a good thing.

and many of those databases already have methods to say how/when they
should lookup.

basically, nsswitch.conf is wrong for (at least) passwd, group, and ethers
because those files quite specifically in them say WHEN YP should be pulled
in. YP should be pulled in with you hit the +. it is a lie to specify in
nsswitch.conf that YP should be looked up first.

so what needs the nsswitch.conf? perhaps the other databases you mention.
but it isn't hard to make the other databases also understand a + in them.
or, as i've suggested many times before, @ for hesiod.