Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Seebach <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/25/1995 16:53:20
I have to say, if someone's going to mention them, that the SVR4 run levels
were a massive boon to me as a sysadmin.  It made it trivial to
keep several different "system states" configured and available, and switch
between them.  How do you switch to single-user on NetBSD?

I believe it's some kluge like 'kill init with a magic signal'.  I recall that
it hung any system I tried it on (netbsd-current 68k, two different versions).
What if you want to bring the system up multi-user, but sans network, since
your ppp provider is down?

A smart set of defaults files would fix these problems.  For instance, the
system could know that, at run level two, it uses /etc/hosts, and at run level
three, it uses DNS and talks to a nearby nameserver - a nameserver which is
not available when the net feed is down.  There does not appear to be any way
to do this right now; if my nameserver is down, my machine hangs on name

The SVR4 system strikes me as elegant and powerful, and seems to deal well
with the question of how to do per-package initialization.