Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@imsi.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/25/1995 14:06:22
Chris G Demetriou writes:
> It's not clear to me that having the full SysV inittab generality is
> really worthwhile...  (i, personally, have always found the notion of
> having N different run levels annoying.

Agreed. They do no good. On the other hand...

> I do like the idea of having umpteen million scripts run at boot-time,
> a la SysV, though.

...great minds think alike. I find that these things make it much
easier to manage systems, because packages can install needed boot
time support just by adding a file rather than by editing files (which
is much harder and more prone to messyness.)

Its ever so much nicer to seperate functionality for different
packages boot time needs into different files, and I do that on all
the machines I run...

Perry