Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: Szabolcs Szigeti (PinkPanther) <pink@fsz.bme.hu>
From: Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: current-users
Date: 07/25/1995 16:20:08
> What is the general view about this? Is it a Good or a Bad thing?

You can't generally say if this is a good or bad thing, simply as some things
are *different* with NetBSD. E.g., enabling root-login via network is IMHO
better with NetBSD than with Solaris. Maybe you should list some things you'd
like to implement via /etc/default/* before starting to put energy into this?

(Please be aware that SVR4, Solaris etc. aren't very welcome on this list in
general :-/ ;)

> And while we are at svr4: I think some of the ideas there are worth
> taking a look at. One is the inittab stuff, the other is the nsswitch.

I seriously would like to see the inittab-stuff as an alternative to NetBSD's
/etc/rc*, as far as it's done as with real SVR4 (i.e., having /etc/rc*.d, ...),
not the way Linux does it (launching /etc/rc from inittab).

Nsswitch is AFAIK done via /etc/resolv.conf, no need to start hacking that.

Just my $0.02 worth,

		Hubert

--
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg, Tel. 0941/943-2455