Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: Szabolcs Szigeti (PinkPanther) <pink@fsz.bme.hu>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/25/1995 10:32:24
[ On Mon, July 24, 1995 at 09:32:04 (+0200), Szabolcs Szigeti wrote: ]
> Subject: /etc/default
>
> What is the general view about this? Is it a Good or a Bad thing?

It's a XENIX thing that svr4 picked up.  I'm not sure it's "Good", since
it's often used for things that it maybe shouldn't be, but I guess it's OK.

> I've just started to write a library routine which extracts all
> kinds of defaults. It is a bit different from the svr4 implementation.

Are not some of these defaults encoded in other ways in NetBSD?  I'm
just thinking of the ways to avoid duplication of admin info....

> And while we are at svr4: I think some of the ideas there are worth
> taking a look at. One is the inittab stuff, the other is the nsswitch.

I've been planning to implement a SysV style init and use it to replace
all the /etc/rc* stuff.  There are even some half-baked PD/freeware
implementations of init itself, so it's more a matter of writing up some
standard wrapper scripts and re-designing the start-up procedures.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>