Subject: Re: Why is using "inline" as a variable name a parse error for our compiler?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/24/1995 15:25:39
[ On Tue, July 18, 1995 at 12:14:21 (-0400), der Mouse wrote: ]
> Subject: Re:  Why is using "inline" as a variable name a parse error for our compiler?
>
> Unfortunately so.  I really wish people would drop the non-prototyped
> compatability thing...

These are two completely un-related issues (well they're un-related
within their own microcosm...).

Having prototypes is a good thing -- for ANSI-C compilers.  Being able
to compile with a non-ANSI-C compiler is still essential.  These two
goals are *not* at conflict.

What's too bad is that gcc isn't split into a nice neat compiler and a
super-ANSI-fied lint.  A full-blown implementation of a lint-like tool,
if based on the front-end of gcc, could be an amazing tool.  Then for
those of us who've already run our code through such a checker, a lean,
mean, compiler could also be built to skip all the checks and just do
what it's supposed to do.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>