Subject: Re: Stuff not working after update to current
To: None <rvb@IGW.TRUST.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 07/24/1995 00:38:59
> Let me suggest a solution to the apeture problem that I use.  I think
> the kernel proper should be secure and should let you map the space
> that SVGA accelerated drivers use.  I add the following case to
> sys/arch/i386/i386/mem.c: mmmmap(dev, off, prot)

of course, this is Wrong, because:

video boards should be mmap'd via the video board's device.  that
device should control mapping based on what it knows about
presence of memory, i.e.:

	(a) whether or not the VGA area is supported by the video
	    board, and

	(b) [for smarter busses, like PCI] where the device is mapped.

note that the current way that video boards (and ISA/EISA busses,
etc.) are configured on x86 PCI-based machines by NetBSD is Totally
Wrong.

chris