Subject: Re: strict typechecking on kernel compiles
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/23/1995 11:53:10
>Without a polymorphic language, you can't get strong typechecking out
>of a polymorphic interface.  Fortunately C has an escape (specifically,
.stdarg functions) for polymorphic functions, so we can prototype them
>even though we can't get real typechecking.

Seriously: why *bother* prototyping these functions, then?  Is it just
an escape to get through a `strong typing' tool?  I really don't see
that a prototype that says ``anything allowed''  buys _anything_.

It's also the case that using the ellipsis in a prototype can result
in a less-efficient argument-passing sequence at run-time, on some
architectures.