Subject: Re: Stupid question [ was Re: Why is using "inline" ...]
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 07/22/1995 13:15:47
> While we're on this thread, here's a stupid, newbie question that
> I've wondered about from seeing all those __P(...) declarations in
> the kernel code:  Since GCC is used on all NetBSD ports (and since
> GCC supports pretty much all known processor architectures), why are
> we bothering to support non-ANSI C compilers?

When I brought this up a while ago, the answer was basically "for ease
of cross-compilation".  When you consider that most new ports are
cross-compiled for the difficult first few iterations, this becomes
more important than it might otherwise sound.

Of course, whether it's worth it, when (as you say) gcc exists on just
about everything anyway, is another question....

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu