Subject: Re: 1380 LINUX DEBUTS ON POWERPC - BUT POWER MAC PORT IS STILL THWARTED (fwd)
To: Ernst J. du Toit <ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
From: Jeremy C. McDermond <mcdermj@PEAK.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 07/21/1995 23:43:51
>Hi
>

>> Well, you know where the sources are...  get to work :-).  (Assuming someone
>> isn't already working on it, which I assume they are.)
>>

>Sigh, I failed to mention that the IBM I have are the C10 models. They are
>MCA based with a lot of IBM signed chips inside for the I/O devices (oops
>I didn't say that and the services techies will never know I violated the
>silly warranty by opening the boxes....)

IBM just released their 43P series - PPC 604 based boxes - these aren't
really economical - but they did something really funky when the released
these beasts...

Their PC Division simultaneously released their Model 580's - they're also
a PPC 604 based PCI bus box.  Standard features are:
	540 Mb IDE drive
	Built in Ethernet
	Built in 1280x1024 graphics adapter
	Built in sound
	16 Mb memory

Basically the only thing you have to do is add monitor.  These specs are
off the top of my head - see http://www.ibm.com  for more exact info.
List price on these beasts are $2750, which isn't bad all things considered
cut throat resellers will be selling them for cheaper.  I've considered
getting one myself - but - well - even $2750 is a little spendy for me.

>I'm still trying to find a cheaper PREP or CHRP based box with PCI/ISA
>busses the IBM 40P series is not priced for my pocket - I heard of a cheap
>Tatung clone though... keep my ear to the ground.
>
>et
>--
>Ernst J. du Toit (TED5)           Internet: ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za
>School of Electrical Engineering  BELTEL  : 175250 / Amateur Radio: ZR1ABB
>Cape Technikon		          Voice: +27 21 460 3911 / Fax: +27 21 45 4161
>South Africa			  /* Hackers do it with bytes and nybbles ! */

Jeremy C. McDermond				mcdermj@CSOS.ORST.EDU
Technical Analyst				jeremy@XENOTROPIC.COM
Willamette Industries,Inc. 			#include <Standard Disclaimer>