Subject: Stupid question [ was Re: Why is using "inline" ...]
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Tom Pavel <pavel@MAILBOX.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 07/19/1995 16:13:26

> dropping backward compatibility for compilers w/o prototypes is not
> the same as compiling the kernel with those options, and saying that
> the kernel should be compiled with those options doesn't mean that
> said backward compatibility should be dropped.

While we're on this thread, here's a stupid, newbie question that I've
wondered about from seeing all those __P(...) declarations in the
kernel code:  Since GCC is used on all NetBSD ports (and since GCC
supports pretty much all known processor architectures), why are we
bothering to support non-ANSI C compilers?  Would anyone rather use a
non-ANSI compiler if an ANSI one is available...

Please forgive my ignorance if this issue has been beaten to death
sometime in the past.

Tom Pavel

Stanford Linear Accelerator Center