Subject: Stupid question [ was Re: Why is using "inline" ...]
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Tom Pavel <pavel@MAILBOX.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 07/19/1995 16:13:26

> dropping backward compatibility for compilers w/o prototypes is not
> the same as compiling the kernel with those options, and saying that
> the kernel should be compiled with those options doesn't mean that
> said backward compatibility should be dropped.

While we're on this thread, here's a stupid, newbie question that I've
wondered about from seeing all those __P(...) declarations in the
kernel code:  Since GCC is used on all NetBSD ports (and since GCC
supports pretty much all known processor architectures), why are we
bothering to support non-ANSI C compilers?  Would anyone rather use a
non-ANSI compiler if an ANSI one is available...

Please forgive my ignorance if this issue has been beaten to death
sometime in the past.

Tom Pavel

Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
pavel@slac.stanford.edu