Subject: Re: name service (does anyone else see this?)
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/1995 09:36:21
On Thu, 13 Jul 1995, der Mouse wrote:

> >> i've tried NetBSD.ORG from some pretty strange places
> > Do you always use the stUdlY caPs?  Does one have to use the stUdlY
> > caPs?
>
> One is not supposed to have to; every spec I've ever seen has specced
> domain names as case-insensitive.  Certainly the DNS works that way.

	The DNS is case insensitive, but I believe most old versions of
	BIND (I would guess even the -current netbsd one) use
	case sensitive cache entries (ie if it knows netbsd.org, and you
	lookup NetBSD.ORG it wont find it in the cache & will have to
	go find it again. (Probably not directly relevant, but maybe useful
	to know :)
			David

 D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk (MIME) +44 171 477 8186  {post,host}master  (abs)
Network Analyst, UCS, City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB.
 <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - try telnet mono.city.ac.uk >>>