Subject: Re: Luns
To: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
From: matthew green <mrg@mame.mu.Oz.Au>
List: current-users
Date: 07/11/1995 20:13:12

   I had this exact drive on my Amiga for a long time.  I never got
   it at multiple LUNs.  I then moved it to my Sun3/260, and it showed
   up at multiple LUNs.  A Quantum Lightning 730 also shows up at multiple
   LUNs.

   At the time I suspected that there was a glitch in the Sun3 SCSI driver.
   I still do, because when the drive shows up at multiple LUNs, for some of
   them I get an "illegal request".  Or the geometry shows zero surfaces.
   Or it doesn't show up at all LUNs.  It seems to depend on which device I
   boot from, although I have not nailed this dependency down.

   Right now I am reworking the Sun3 SCSI driver, and I will be paying
   attention to this problem.  The Sparc esp driver apparently does the same
   thing.

hmm:

splode ~# dmesg | egrep 'esp|sd'
esp0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0x800000 pri 3: ESP100 20Mhz, target 7
scsibus0 at esp0
esp0 targ 2 lun 0: <QUANTUM, LIGHTNING 730S, 241E> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd0 at scsibus0: 699MB, 3658 cyl, 4 head, 97 sec, 512 bytes/sec

this is netbsd/sparc current about 2 weeks ago.

i've not had any problems with this drive since i got it several months
ago.

.mrg.