Subject: Re: MBone tools
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@lagavulin.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/08/1995 18:57:18
> As far as I know, the only Mbone tool where the source is available is NV.
> The latest rumors I've been hearing is that the LBL group is interested in
> commercializing their MBONE apps, and don't want the sources floating around.
> (Despite the fact that since it's government funded, the sources _should_
> be available.  *sigh*)
>
> Of course, that's only a rumor, as everyone from the LBL group is curiously
> silent on the subject.

I hate to ask, but: did anybody actually _ASK_ anyone at LBL, before
declaring them 'curiously silent'?

Upon seeing this message, i sent off some mail to Steve McCanne at
LBL, and within two or so hours i got back the following:

> Hi, Chris.  No, that's a bogus rumor.  Vat source code will be released
> when it's ported to RTPv2, and sd has been handed over to Mark Handley
> at UCL.  He will do a source release of "sdr" in the near future.
> You'll note that vic source has been available since November.

I have little clue what most of the NLAs are, but i willing to bet
that that statement flattens the rumor pretty well.

chris